Wednesday 22 December 2010

Great Expectations - Are Managed

Because of the snow, there has been a great deal of media coverage devoted to service performance in the last few days:
  • Airports
  • Eurostar
  • Postal Services
  • On-line Shopping
  • Rail Services
  • Road Transport

All of these areas have been affected by the recent poor weather. BA and BAA have come in for a fair amount of criticism - particularly in terms of their communication (or otherwise) with people stranded at a major airport.

One firm made me think about these issues in marketing terms. I ordered several items from Amazon last week - and was assured that delivery would take place in time for Christmas. When I re-visited the site on Monday (nearly 5 working days before Christmas) - the message was clear. It will not arrive in time for Christmas.

Amazon took responsibility for managing my expectations. And (as far as I know) - over-delivered - the parcels shipped to my home have all arrived in plenty of time - all apart from one that is not a gift.

Our local Pizza firm, in the next village is another great example of good expectation management. They always tell me that delivery will take place "Within the hour" - and most of the time manage a 34-45 minute delivery time. The main point is - they set expectations and then over-deliver on them - a bit. And that makes me loyal.

So, how do you communicate with your customers? Do you manage expectations properly? Are you guilty of letting people find things out the hard way?


No comments:

Post a Comment